Followers

Saturday 28 April 2012

IHSW April post

No pictures i'm afraid... yet.

On my last post I mentioned that my youngest, Lauren was in hospital. Well, we still are.

Lauren has silent pneumonia complicated with empyaema - fluid between the lung and the chest wall.

We are currently in our regional children's hospital and she has a chest drain inserted to drain off the pus, a picc line to administer meds and is on constant monitoring.

It';s been a very worrying week. It all started with an uncontrollable temperature. 2 visits on consecutive days to my doctor and she said it was nothing more than viral. On the third day (last Saturday into the early hours of Sunday) Lauren started vomiting pain meds back so I rang for medical help. The consensus was to take her in to my local accident and emergency department and have her looked over

The A&E doc concurred with my GP but referred us up to the paediatric ward. She was seen then and again, sent home as now 4 doctors had seen her, examined her top to toe and listened to her chest but nothing was heard.

Fast forward to early hours Monday and Lauren came into my bed in the night, struggling to breathe. I rang the paediatric ward for advice and they said to bring her in.

Within minutes of us arriving, it was discovered her blood sats were very poor for her at 82%, her pulse was racing, and her temperature was fast heading towards the 40 degree mark. Immediately she was x rayed and it was discovered that she was alot sicker than we first thought. Within the hour we had the diagnosis.

The following day we were transferred to our local children's hospital where we still are.

So naturally I haven't done a stitch!

I will post a further update soon xx

5 comments:

  1. I'm wishing her a speedy recovery - what a frightening experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my hope she's better soon x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear Lauren is poorly. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery! (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope for a speedy recovery too. Nothing more frightening for a parent, than a child been sick and now knowing what's happening. I am glad they realised what was wrong and that they are now getting her well again.

    ReplyDelete